Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology
In any fermentation process, cell harvesting or biomass recovery is considered to be an important step specially when intermediates like antibiotics manufactured in bulk quantity. Separation methods like centrifugation and rotary vacuum filters are successfully replaced by membrane filtration technique in various plants by improving product yields and decreasing the maintenance cost and involvement of the operators. Membranes are also an ordinary part of the industrial enzyme production lines which concentrate the enzymes before the further downstream processing stages.
Purification & Concentration of Amino Acids
Membrane filtration is more effective method for the clarification and concentration of amino acids as compared to the traditional processes. Through ultra-filtration technique, various types of amino acids can be processed with more uniformity even with the strong characteristic dissimilarities with each other.
Protein Purification and Recovery
Membrane filtration process easily & effectively removes bacteria and other impurities from protein. Further, the protein is also recovered from many other waste stream processes.
Concentration and De-Mineralization of Blood Plasma
After the removal of blood cells (commonly by centrifuge), plasma can be concentrated through membrane filtration method. Concentration of plasma is also done to reduce the shipping cost because it is further processed in different locations.
To concentrate the peptide streams, NF is being utilized.
Somatotropin (Porcine or Bovine Somatotropin) is a growth hormone which is given to livestock (commonly in the form of topical agent or injection) for their improvement and for enhancing animals' feed efficiencies internally. The production of bovine somatotropin or injectable porcine consists of fermentation and several other membrane filtration steps for the effective purification and concentration of hormones.
Bacitracin is one of the antibiotics which is used in the livestock feed. The technique of membrane filtration is being utilized for the concentration of Bacitracin broth before drying as it reduces the operational cost & capital.
The main usage of membrane filtration is to purify and concentrate the broth during the production of penicillin.
Lysozyme is a kind of enzyme which helps in fighting against bacteria. Membrane filtration is considered to be the most effective process for concentrating large amount of Lysozyme that founds in egg whites.
Membrane filtration is not only used for purifying and concentrating antibiotics like Streptomycin & Neomycin but also used for removing their colors.
Tetracycline is an antibiotic which is generally used for treating acne. Generally, membrane filtration is used for both purifying & concentrating Tetracycline broth. In some plants, membrane filtration is used for the recovery of Tetracycline from the waste streams.
- Lactic Acid Production- Lactic acid is produced through fermentation process so, the fermenting broth is ultra-filtered properly for removing lactic acid presented in it. Further, it recycled the cells back to the fermentor. NF or UF is again used to clean and concentrate the lactic acid as a pre-concentration before the stage of evaporation.
- Butyric Acid Production- RO & UF are utilized for cleaning and concentrating the Butyric Acid.
- Citric Acid Production- Citric Acid is produced by fermenting the dextrose. First, MF is used for the recovery of acid from the fermenting broth and after that, NF is being utilized for purifying it.
- Acetic Acid Production- Utilization of RO for the concentration of Acetic Acid.
- Protease Enzyme- Protease enzyme is concentrated by NF.
- Cellulase Enzyme
- Peroxidase Enzyme
- Phytase Enzyme cell used for separation and purification.